Monday, September 2, 2019

Day 8: More of Fenghuang

17th April 2019 (Wednesday)

Since I have explored the riverfront, there was not much else to do. My intention in staying two nights in Fenghuang was to spend a day relaxing, doing nothing but sipping tea by the river bank. This morning, I would visit Phoenix Square and later look for a place to sit and relax. The weather forecast for Fenghuang was overcast or rain. However, it was hot. The cool air was gone.

After breakfast, I walked to Phoenix Square. It is located on the southern bank of Tuojiang River. Using the map given by the hostel, I walked across Hongqiao Bridge and went down the down the steps on the western side. It was very crowded, with tourists from many tour groups. I walked west, following the tour groups ahead of me. Where else would they be going if not to Phoenix Square? I was right.













From Phoenix Square, I exited through West Gate. The street led to the intersection with the touristic Hongqiao (Mid) Road. Outside of this touristic road was the real Fenghuang, with real people. I noticed a day earlier that there were a lot of people at this intersection. There were again many people this morning and I decided to explore the area a little. It was the local market and I discovered the most delicious food in Fenghuang, the fried buns here too. I finished the whole bag by the time I reached Hongqiao Bridge on the way back.









After exploring the market, I went to explore the street near the market. There was not much to see. I walked back to the hostel.










Within minutes after returning to the hostel, I went out again and walked to the stone pillar bridge. I hoped to relax there and let time flew.

It was a must do thing so I crossed the pillar bridge before crossing back via the wooden bridge. It was a hot day. There was no cool place to sit and relax. There was no tea to sip so I took some photos and crossed over to the southern bank again.

 






After spending some time at the northern bank, I decided to climb the city wall. The city wall ended on an unknown street in the east.






There were red lanterns hanging over the whole of the street where the wall ended in the east. I decided to explore it. It ended at Hongqiao (Mid) Road. From there, I walked north, past my hostel and took my lunch.






In was a common sight to see peddlers selling this attractive bright red/ orange coloured fruit. I did not know the name. This peddler was doing her trade near Hongqiao Bridge. I wanted to buy some today but a Chinese visitor walked over, asked her how much it was and she weighted the fruit and handed it to him. When he challenged her to show him the weight, she was evasive. The smart Chinese visitor then commented that she trying to rip off her customers. I was disgusted with the peddler's behaviour and decided not to buy the fruit.



No comments:

Post a Comment