Friday, June 5, 2009

The Perhentian Report - Day 5

Day 5 (6th May 2009) - Perhentian - Kuala Besut - Kota Bharu - KL

We woke up at 6:00 a.m. It was still pitch dark. At 6:30 a.m., we left our chalet for the pier. The receptionist was still asleep, so we left the key on the counter.

Today, we depart from Perhentian for KL, where we shall stay for one night before returning to Sibu. The three of us guys were at Long Beach, Perhentian Kecil. The rest of the group was at Perhentian Besar. We would meet up with them at New Cocohut Restaurant, Perhentian Besar before 8:00. a.m. We had made arrangement with Fauna Holiday and informed our guide that we would leave Perhentian Besar for Kuala Besut at 8:30 a.m.

As we left our room, we called the boatman, the one who ferried us to Long Beach from Teluk Pauh, to fetch us at 7:00 a.m. at the pier. He arrived punctually, and we left for New Cocohut Chalet, Perhentian Besar before 7:00 a.m.

On arrival at New Cocohut, we went to collect our bags which we left behind with the girls. At 8:00 a.m., everyone has gathered at New Cocohut Restaurant. The rest of the group have their breakfast, while the three of us were not entitled to it. What a shame.

At 8:30 a.m., we were at the jetty. Our Perhentian trip was coming to an end, and we have to say good-bye to these beautiful islands, our home for the last three days. We invited Annuar, our guide and the boatman, to take a group photo with us for memento. Annuar did not join us on our return trip to Kuala Besut as he has another boatload of new guests arriving later. We were soon on our way to Kuala Besut. Good-bye, beautiful Perhentian.

At Kuala Besut, we were welcomed on arrival by Mr. Ong Seng Yeow, the boss of Fauna Holiday himself.

Our bags were then carted to his office at Restoran Makanan Laut Lucky. The vans which would be transporting us back to Kota Bharu were waiting outside the restaurant. Before leaving, we gave ourselves 45 minutes to explore the little town of Kuala Besut. The three of us guys who have not eaten yet took our breakfast at the restaurant. I have a plate of fried noodle costing RM5. It's not cheap. It tasted average only.

Kuala Besut consists of just three main streets, with a number of lanes. It was small, and you could explore the town in half an hour. There were a few travel agencies opened by the Perhentian resorts and chalets.

After roaming around the town for a while, we were soon on our way to Kota Bharu. Ten minutes' drive away along the road to Kota Bharu, we stopped to buy keropok lekor at a stall recommended by Mr. Ong himself. Here, the price was cheaper.

At Kota Bharu, we visited the famous Siti Khadijah Market and the handicraft centre. We did not have much time to explore other parts of the town. Besides, the weather was very hot.

I had my lunch at the first floor. The rest did not take theirs here because the food here was all spicy. For me, spiciness was not a problem. My tongue has been numbed from eating spicy food in Sibu. The price of my lunch of a whole leg and rice = RM5.

Just as I was leaving the stall where I took my lunch, I noticed the ayam percik. I have been dying for it and have been telling my friends that I would have my ayam percik at Kota Bharu. On our visit to Medan Selera on 2 May, the strong wind and the ensuing dust practically rendered the ayam percik there too dirty for consumption. Now, I have my second chance to buy my favorite Kelantanese food, so I bought two pieces of whole legs, at RM5 a piece. I would share them with the girls whom I overheard saying that they wanted to try ayam percik too. However, they were not at this stall then.

After buying the ayam percik, we went to the handicraft centre where my Kota Bharu friend said Kelantanese batik and Siamese craft were sold. However, most of the stalls were selling batik, except for one stall on the top floor selling handicraft.

At 1:00 p.m., we departed Kota Bharu for Sultan Ismail Petra Airport for our 3:00 p.m. flight to KL. Bye-bye Kota Bharu.

No comments:

Post a Comment