Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Day 2: Nishiki Market, Kamo River and Gion (Again)

19th October 2018 (Friday)


After visiting Kiyomizu-dera and strolling along Sannen-zaka and Ninen-zaka to Yasaka Pagoda, I decided to return to my guesthouse which was close by. However, it was locked. The time was only 2:10 p.m. and it would probably not open until 4:00 p.m.

I needed to ease myself. I decided to go to Nishiki Market, which was in my afternoon itinerary. Hopefully, I could find a washroom there. Surely, the Japanese know that tourists are human and need to pee, and being so considerate and thoughtful, would have washrooms ready for needy tourists and visitors like me.

Looking at the OSM map on my Garmin eTrex 20x, Nishiki Market did not look very far away from the hostel. It was about 1.5 kilometer away (but Garmin gave me the long route!). But, when the urge to pee was so strong, the distant seemed doubly far. It was about 2:50 p.m. when I reached Nishiki. I looked left and right along Nishiki Market and was very disappointed that I did not find a washroom. The Japanese were a disappointing lot. Of course, that was not going to stop me from having some bites.














It was not yet 3:20 p.m. I was at the west end of Nishiki Market. I wouldn't walk further west to Phiten at Tearaimizucho, on the same street as Nishiki Market to find the items that CTT requested. I had decided that I needed to return to the guesthouse for my pee. I estimated that I would reach the guesthouse by 4:00 p.m. With hurried steps, I walked back. 

Then, I saw Hankyu Kawaramachi Station. Surely, there must be a washroom here!! I hurried underground to the station. What a relief! Why hadn't I thought of finding a washroom at the train or subway station earlier? It was pure ecstatic feeling!


Feeling relieved, I was ready to see Kamo River. The first time I saw pictures on the internet of the building lining Kamo River, I had decided that I must visit this place. The view was unlike anything that I have seen before. It was very authentic and original, one of a kind. Earlier, I thought this place was called Pontocho, but further reading told me that Pontocho was actually an old street. I still haven't found the name of this place, except for the name of the river running alongside, Kamo River or Kamogawa.









On the way to Yasaka Pagoda from Kamo River, I dropped by the Geisha/ Maiko alley again, with the hope I could capture a vivid photograph of a Geisha/ Maiko. I guessed most of the visitors were thinking of doing the same thing. The Geisha/ Maiko were the celebrities here. In fact, when two Geisha/ Maiko were spotted walking together, a woman, presumably a mainland Chinese by her uncouth behaviour, followed and chased after them for a photograph.










No comments:

Post a Comment