Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Day 5: Shopping in Kyoto

22nd October 2018 (Monday)

My plan for today was to see the Jidai Matsuri procession, which falls on 22nd October every year. I needed to walk about 2.3 km north from my hostel, Daiya Ryokan to Oike-Dori Street for a viewing spot along the procession path.  However, my back pain was not getting better. The evening earlier, I had bought a bottle of lotion and medicinal pads for relieving the pain but they were not working. Probably, the pain was the result of poor walking and standing postures, and not because of muscle pain. If I were to go, I might find myself without a place to sit to rest my back and this could aggravate my condition. I did not want to visit a clinic later as it could be very expensive. Hence, I decided to cancel the plan.

Instead, I opted to explore BIC Camera and AEON Mall to check out the items I wanted to buy. At BIC Camera, I found packaged Ichiran ramen! I was told by YPH that it could only be found at Ichiran Ramen restaurants. The packaged Ichiran ramen consisted of 5 servings and cost a whopping ¥1,852 (≈MYR70). It was too expensive. It was not sold in one-serving packages. As I browsed through other merchandise, I was thinking whether I should buy it or not. In the end, I decided to buy one packet, in addition to two packets of Ippudo ramen sold in one-serving sizes, which I thought I could give away as gifts to friends. I ended up having to carry these "large" items to Osaka the next day, as I was worried that if I did not buy them, I might not be able to find them again.











At Daiso 100 Yen shop at the rear of AEON Mall, the products sold were as expected, simple items. Nevertheless, I bought a few items too.


For some of the items for my travel, I bought them at Kyoto-Yodobashi which is just north of Kyoto Station, behind Kyoto Tower.




If you are thinking of buying quality Japanese products, you would be disappointed. Most items, like in most countries, were made in China. However, you might find that the products would have a "Designed in Japan" mentioned on the products too. Even though they were made in China, the prices were rather expensive compared to Malaysia or Bangkok. I hope they last since I was paying premium prices for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment