Sunday, July 3, 2016

Pratunam Market, Bangkok

Day 3 (Sunday, 8 May 2016), Morning

One blogger (http://www.estherxie.com/2015/04/bangkok-2015-part-2.html) talked about the wholesale prices at Pratunam Market early in the morning, which would revert to retail prices at 10 a.m. in the morning. To take advantage of the wholesale prices, i.e. buying at least 3 pieces of the same design, shoppers should be there early in the morning. When the same blogger could not find what she liked, she was told by her uncle that "if you don't buy anything here it's unlikely you will buy from elsewhere because here is the cheapest". Was Pratunam Market that special?

I was up early and was at BTS National Stadium station by 6:40 a.m. I bought myself a one-day pass which allowed the holder unlimited trips on the BTS Skytrain until midnight.  By 6:48 a.m., I was already at BTS Chit Lom station. From there, I walked to Ratchadamri Rd, crossed over the road at the overhead bridge to CentralWorld and walked north to the intersection of Ratchadamri/ Phetchaburi Roads. I crossed Phetchaburi Road in front of Platinum Fashion Mall at "Cross Walk Zone". Instead of looking for Soi Phetchaburi 21 in front of Platinum Mall to enter Pratunam Market, I continued walking north along Ratchaprarop Road (i.e. Ratchadamri Road before the intersection of Ratchadamri/ Phetchaburi Roads). When I still could not find Pratunam Market after a long walk, I gave up and tracked back just after passing Soi Ratchaprarop 3. It was on the return leg when I saw some white tents in the distant at Soi Ratchaprarop 3. The white tents turned out to be clothes stalls. I was finally at Pratunam Market.




















Was this at Soi Ratchaprapop 3?

 

 








While exploring the streets at Pratunam Market, I came to Soi Phetchaburi 21 and there in front of the entrance of this soi was Platinum Fashion Mall. Had I known that Soi Phetchaburi 21 was the entrance to Pratunam Market, I would not have walked so far north of Ratchaprarop Road. For the benefit of readers, do not make the same mistake that I did. Anyway, I believed that if I had not gone to Pratunam Market so early in the morning, I might have noticed a lot of shoppers across the road in front of Platinum Fashion Mall and might have found Pratunam Market sooner.



Use this map to guide you if you are walking there on your own

No comments:

Post a Comment