Sunday, July 17, 2016

Soi Sukhumvit 38 and Platinum Fashion Mall, Bangkok

Day 3 (Sunday, 8 May 2016), Evening/ Night

It was close to 5:00 p.m. I had rested my tired legs after returning from Chinatown and was ready to go out again.
I would be going to Platinum Fashion Mall tonight. It is a popular destination among Singaporeans and was highly recommended. I would be going there to shop for some office clothes, pants and sneakers.

At the same time, I remembered the highly recommended street food at Soi Sukhumvit 38 by Mark Wiens, a popular Youtube food blogger. It was close to dinner time and I thought I would visit the soi and have my dinner there before going to Platinum.

As usual, I took the Skytrain from BTS National Stadium station on the Silom Line and changed Skytrain to the Sukhumvit Line at CEN Siam Interchange. From there, I took the Skytrain to BTS Thong Lo station. Soi Sukhumvit 38 was right at BTS Thong Lo station Exit 4 staircase.

I thought I was too early when I saw only a few stalls opened at the entrance to Soi Sukhumvit 38. It was only 5:00 p.m. after all, so I decided to walk around, ate a stick of ice-cream and came back in 20 minutes. No additional stalls had opened. I did not want to wait any longer and decided to have my dinner, thinking of returning again later in the night after shopping at Platinum.








After arriving at BTS Chit Lom station from BTS Thong Lo station, I decided to walk on the Skywalk to the intersection of Rama I Road/ Ratchadamri Road this time, instead of walking on the street. I exited beside CentralWorld at Rama I Road. CentralWorld was blocked off with portable fence and bags were checked before visitors could enter. I walked to Platinum Fashion Mall like I did this morning but now CentralWorld had come alive with activities and people. Thai-Japan Anime and Music Festival was being staged and young people dressed in Japanese Cosplay costumes were inter-mingling with photographers and visitors. A pavilion with food stalls were set up too.










At the intersection of Phetchaburi Road/ Ratchadamri Road to Platinum, many stalls had been set up. This morning, it was devoid of food stalls.

Level 4 at Platinum were partially dedicated to men's clothing. I thought there were many choices for men but it was extremely limited like everywhere else. I left after only about 45 minutes there. Platinum was a disappointment. 














After leaving Platinum, I went back to Soi Sukhumvit 38. When I reached BTS Thong Lo station, it was 8:20 p.m. Instead of finding a street full of food stalls and hungry people, I saw the same few stalls there. I was disappointed and took the next Skytrain back.

No comments:

Post a Comment