Saturday, October 5, 2019

Hunan Food - Zhangjiajie City

1 MYR = RMB1.6461;
1 RMB = MYR0.6075


Most of the restaurants that I went were along Guanli Road, between Hostel Geographer and Zhangjiajie Bus Station. There were lots of them along this road.
When I arrived in Zhangjiajie Bus Station from Changsha, I had lunch at Many Supermarket food court on the first floor. There was a McDonald's there too. It was on the left of the bus station, when approaching it.








When I came back to Zhangjiajie again from Wulingyuan, I went to look for Hostel Geographer which according to Booking.com coordinates was somewhere close. However, I failed to find it. I then went for lunch at this cheap hole-in-the-wall at the south-side of the bus station. The eatery operator was touting lunch-time diners that the price was ¥10 for all you-can-eat.


I wanted to take more, but seeing that the owner did not look well-to-do, I did not do so. He needed to make some profit from me

There were a lot of choices available, but few meat dishes


For dinner that evening, I went to look for braised pork, done in the style of Mei Cai Kou Rou (braised pork with preserved mustard). When I saw the picture of the braised pork on the restaurant wall outside, I went in.










I read that if one does not want to be at the back of a long queue, one should be at Tianmen Cable Station before 8:00 a.m. I did that and was out of the hostel early. This restaurant was very close to Hostel Geographer and was at the short street connecting Guanli Road to the street leading to Geographer. It was about 6:20 a.m.

Before I left Zhangjiajie City for Fenghuang the following day, I came here for breakfast again. There was a cute girl working here.




The Jiaozi (dumpling) was ¥10 and the Doujiang (soya milk) was ¥3. It was just normal in taste
On the second morning, I came back to the same restaurant. This time, I had noodle soup. The two eggs were added later





It was past 2:00 p.m. when I got into town from Tianmen Heaven's Gate. I was not sure whether I could still find lunch or not. Nevertheless, this restaurant was still serving lunch, and it was of course also offering braised pork in the style of Mei Cai Kou Rou. However, I did not order this style of braised pork this time.





For dinner, I walked along Guanli Road again looking for restaurants with pictures of Mei Cai Kou Rou. I was expecting touts to be canvassing passers-by to enter their restaurants. None did, so I went into this restaurant.  The menu showed braised pork done differently.






The picture on the menu looked like it was brinjal (egg plant). It turned out to be cucumber

No comments:

Post a Comment