Saturday, October 17, 2009

This is Procrastination


This is procrastination at its worst. It has been over a month since I last blogged. During this period, there have been numerous inspirations to write, except that I was not working at my computer on those occasions. So, I left those inspirations there and then.

I have been busy as usual. In fact, I have been studying, and not surfing the net as regularly. I have decided to spend more time to learn Mandarin. As at August 2008, I was able to recognise about 200 Chinese characters already. Being the type whose interests changed so frequently, I dropped the 'lessons' after I subscribed to Streamyx, the local broadband service, that month. It has been over a year now, and my ability to recognise those characters have fallen drastically. I have to re-learn them again.

The reason for learning Mandarin was simple - my impending visit to Guilin, China next year. I have made a commitment to myself to learn about 1,000 Chinese characters and as many words/ phrases by then. By then, I hope I would have started learning to speak in Mandarin. With that, I hope my trip to Guilin would be more rewarding.

There are so many advantages in knowing a new language, especially Mandarin. Knowing Mandarin would open opportunities for me to read Chinese novels by such great writers like Jin Yong (real name Louis Cha) and watch Chinese movies in their original dialogues. I love the sword plays, out-of-this-world kungfu, air-borne skills, etc. One of my favorite characters is Xiaolongnu, played by Jacqueline Wu in The Return of the Condor Heroes. She has a beautiful, melancholic look. I have been searching high and low for the series in DVD, and finally found it at Wisma Sanyan two days ago. I was so happy paying RM20 for it. Here's a clip from the TV series. Isn't she gourgeous? There is a lady near my office who looks like her.


There is another set of DVD which I am looking for, namely the TV series Xiao Ao Jiang Hu (Laughing in the Wind, also known as Smiling, Proud Wanderer also known as State of Divinity) from the CCTV production in 2001, starring Li Yapeng and Xu Qing. I love the beautiful scenery and the sword plays in this TV series. Does anyone know where I can get the DVD? Here is a wallpaper from an Iranian fansite.


No comments:

Post a Comment