Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Day 2: Hualien Train Station & Bus Station

19 April 2018 (Thursday)

If you have been like me backpacking solo to different countries every year, and depending mostly on mass public transportation to cut down on travel cost, you would appreciate the importance of reliable and accurate information on trains and buses.

Before coming to Taiwan, I tried to find but found it difficult to get reliable information on public transportation to Taroko National Park in Hualien. There were two bus stations and I was not sure from which station the shuttle buses departed from. I was also not sure how far the bus station was from the train station. Did I need to take a taxi? 

Then, there was the question of my baggage. On arrival from Taipei by train, should I take a taxi to my hostel and leave my baggage there, and from there go to the bus station? If I did not want to waste my time and money doing that, would there be baggage storage facilities nearby?

Google Earth did provide some information but then, pictures provided were not showing the same building and location. There was no perspective to the pictures! It was confusing! On the day I left, I only knew that the shuttle buses going to Taroko departed from an orange-coloured bus station.

On blogger missed his bus (not to Taroko but to another destination) because he waited for his bus at the wrong spot. I hope the following photos would be able to provide the required information and perspective about the train station and bus station in Hualien to assist fellow backpackers so that they do not wait at the wrong spots for the shuttle buses to Taroko.

































Download this large map of the bus route from Hualien bus station to Tianxiang and back. On the return trip, it will bypass Buluowan and Shakadang. Do not wait for the shuttle buses there.

















No comments:

Post a Comment