Thursday, July 26, 2018

Days 3 and 4: Raohe Night Market, Taipei

20 and 21 April 2018  (Friday & Saturday)

I have my eyes set on Raohe Night Market Fuzhou pepper buns. I believe it evolved from the Fuzhou guangbing, more popularly known locally in Sibu, Sarawak, Malaysia as kompian. The technique in baking it is the same, except that the pepper buns have filling of meat and green onion or chives. Being of Fuzhou blood, I feel proud of its popularity, though it might not be found in our ancestral land in Fuzhou City, China.

The pepper buns there have been mentioned time and again as one of the most popular hawker food in Raohe, with a perpetual queue which never seemed to get shorter. It was that popular. Was it that good?

The nearest station to Raohe Market was MRT Songshan Station (G19). Visitor can reach there by taking the Songshan-Xindian Green Line. There are five exits. Exit 5 would be the nearest exit and is diagonally across from Raohe Night Market entrance near the temple. I used Exit 1. 
























On my second visit to Raohe Market the following night, I had the pepper bun again. I actually wanted to order a scallion pancake but when the hawker asked me a question which I did not actually comprehend, I nodded my head. That was how I ended with the pepper bun again. It was in fact better than the pepper bun from the Fuzhou Pepper Bun stall. The crust was so much crispier. This pepper bun stall was at the entrance too but at the side of the street.

I of course tried a few more street food on my second night here. I preferred Raohe Night Market to Shilin Night Market!








No comments:

Post a Comment