Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Day 6: Exploring the Streets Around Taipei Main Station for Food

23 April 2018 (Monday)

Today was my last day in Taiwan. I planned to leave for Taoyuan Airport at about 6:00 p.m. My flight to Kuala Lumpur was at 11:45 p.m. 

Yesterday evening, I strolled past National Taiwan Museum and I thought of going there the next day. However, I changed my mind this morning.

I wasn't satisfied with the braised beef noodle in Hualien. It was tangy from the preserved vegetable. Surely, the most famous dish in Taiwan could be better than that. It was this desire to actually confirm the taste of Taiwan beef noodle that I went in search of it this morning, before I left Taiwan for good. 

I first went looking for it around the streets close to Holo Hostel but did not find one. Then, I remembered the many small stalls in alleys in the area near Chia Rong Hostel to the north of Taipei Main Station. I headed over there. Finally, I saw someone sitting at a table in an alley along Huayin Street. I went in to check and it was a beef noodle shop.










By the time I was done with the beef noodle, it was about 10:50 a.m. I had to return to the hostel to take my bath, changed into my last clean t-shirts and check out, while leaving my baggage there. The weather was hot, at about 32° Celsius and humid. I would be staying in-door at the shopping malls at Taipei Main Station instead of exploring more of Taipei.

At 1:00 p.m., I left Taipei Main Station to go to Fuyuan Pepper Buns to the north of the station. I used the elevated pedestrian crossing at Taipei Main Station North 3 exit to cross the highway. The pepper buns would be my lunch. I bought two pieces. They were good, and I would rate it between the pepper buns from the two stalls at Raohe Night Market.



After getting back to Taipei Main Station from Fuyuan, TSC chatted me on Wechat at about 1:45 p.m. It was unexpected as he had disappeared from our group conversation for the last few days. He wanted me to get out of Taipei Main Station and take the opportunity of my last few hours in Taiwan to enjoy Taiwan food. It was very hot and humid and I could easily drench in sweat if I were to go out. What he said was true. I would regret not making full use of the time available if I did not get some more taste of Taiwan.

At 4:30 p.m., I went out. It was no longer so hot. I went in search of the Lu Rou Fan from Formosa Chang, a chain store which TSC recommended. Instead, I bought some steam buns, which TSC said was vegetarian, from a stall on the five-foot way. Then, I saw a ramen restaurant. Ramen was in my bucket list but I had not tried it yet. I could not miss this last opportunity for Taiwan ramen, which I could later compare with the original ramen of Japan in October this year.







After the ramen dinner, I went back to Taipei Main Station. I went to get a refund of my EasyCard at the MRT station and walked to Taoyuan Airport MRT Station. 

The Taoyuan Airport MRT Express train departed at 5:45 p.m.







No comments:

Post a Comment