Friday, August 3, 2018

Day 5: Along MRT Tamsui-Xinyi Red Line

22 April 2018 (Sunday)

One day, while studying the MRT map to decide where to go, I realised that there were a few places of interest along the MRT Tamsui-Xinyi Red Line. Among them were MRT Station R28 Tamsui for the street food and riverfront, MRT Station R12 Shuanglian for the morning market, MRT Station R07 Dongmen for Yongkang Street street food and lastly, MRT Station R03 Taipei 101/ World Trade Center for Taipei 101.

This morning, I had a very light breakfast provided free by Holo Hostel. It was less than satisfactory. I was out of the hostel by 8:00 a.m. and knowing that it was hopeless to look for breakfast elsewhere, I decided to go to FamilyMart, which TSC said had very tasty food. Right on the ground floor of the hostel was a FamilyMart.

After taking the simple and delicious breakfast at FamilyMart, I walked over to Taipei Main Station to take the MRT to the northern-most station along the Red Line, which was Tamsui. I would begin my day from there and ending it at Taipei 101.



MRT Tamsui Station Exit 1: Tamsui Riverfront and Street Food
There seemed to be only one exit at MRT Tamsui. It led to the street. I was not sure where the river front food street was. While taking photos of the street and the station, I saw the river. The station was between the road and the river.

It was about 9:15 a.m. when I arrived. It was still early. The food stalls were still closed, except for a few here and there which had just started to open but food were still being prepared. The air was cool and the morning was beautiful and nice. I took a leisurely walk along the promenade hoping to find something I like to snack. It was here that I noticed many Muslim women who looked like Malay or Indonesians care-givers with their charges.

Since most of the stalls had still not opened, I took my time to enjoy the scenery. I found a bench to sit, relaxed and took in the refreshing air while waiting for more food stalls to open. At about 10:30 a.m., I walked back to MRT Tamsui Station. Not all stalls had opened. I did not find any interesting snack, except for the sausage stand. 

















While approaching the MRT station, I saw many people at the entrance of the street behind the row of shops fronting the river-front. Out of curiosity, I decided to explore this back street. It was while strolling along this street that I saw Tamsui Old Street. I strolled to the Old Street and was happy that it was actually a market street. I also found Ngo Hiong/ Lor Bak (meat roll) here.










MRT Dongmen Station Exit 5: Yongkang Street & Din Tai Fung Restaurant
I did not know about Yongkang Street until I saw a video of this street. It was then that I decided that I should come here too.

On exiting from MRT Dongmen Station Exit 5, I saw small crowds of people at a short distant away in front of the station exit. The famous Din Tai Fung original Dim Sum restaurant was just ahead at the intersection of Xinyi Road/ Yongkang Street. It was at the second lot from the corner shop, Loranzo. Behind Loranzo was KaoChi, the main competitor to Din Tai Fung.

I read on the internet that KaoChi has equally good Dim Sum as Din Tai Fung, but at much cheaper prices. I wanted to go there but instead of going to KaoChi, I went to another Dim Sum shop. I forgot the main competitor's name was KaoChi at that time.

Along Yongkang Street, there were many visitors looking for food. Queues could be seen at KaoChi, the mango smoothie shop, the onion pancake shop, etc. There were of course many other restaurants along this stretch of street.









MRT Taipei 101 Station Exit 1: World Trade Center 
Taipei 101 was not in my original itinerary. However, seeing that it was on the MRT Xinyi-Tamsui Red Line, I decided to change my mind. After all, it was Taipei's most famous landmark.

Exit 1 was at the World Trade Center, which was a separate building from Taipei 101. If you wish to exit close to Taipei 101, then take Exit 5.









No comments:

Post a Comment