Sunday, August 12, 2018

Taiwan Food: Part 1: 18 - 19 April 2018

Exchange Rates: NT$10 = MYR1.34; MYR1 = NT$7.46

For countries in the Far East, I have visited China three times. I was not interested in South Korea. Japan was low on my list. Many friends had been to Taiwan but it was low on my list because there were not many attractions, except for Taroko Gorge and its street food. 

Since friends spoke so highly of Taiwanese food, I decided to go there this time. For the food, top on my list were Fuzhou pepper buns, braised pork rice and beef noodle. 

Day 1: Shilin Night Market 
To go there, take MRT Red Line to Jiantan Station (R15) and take Exit 1. At the exit, you will see lots of people across the road. That's your destination. Turn right and walk to the road intersection. Cross the road from there. 

Da Chang Bao Xiao Chang (sausage in rice bun) stall. This was on TSC recommended list and I decided to go for it.


The taste came mainly from the sausage. Sweet and savoury. Rated 8/10 points

Shilin basement food-court

Xiaolongbao (Steamed Soup Dumplings). I love all things Dim Sum, but it was not on TSC recommended list. The Lu Rou Fan (Braised Pork Rice) was on his list.

Xiaolongbao - The first piece was good. The second piece was still ok. By the third piece, I started to get queasy … From the 4th piece onwards, I wondered whether I could finish the rest. Rated 4/10. Braised Pork Rice - a very simple rice dish, but exceedingly good. Sweet and savoury and should appeal to Malaysian taste buds. Rated 8/10


Aiyu Jelly. Quite good. Sweet and did not detect any tangy taste. Rated 7/10

O-ar Misua (Thin caramelised wheat noodle broth with oyster)

Guo Tie (pot-sticker)




Day 2: 7-11 near Chia Rong Hostel, Taipei


I went for the Macha Tea Latte

The Macha Tea Latte was sweet and creamy with a taste of tea. Good. Rated 8/10
Day 2: At a row of shops beside Hualien Visitor Center at Hualien Train/ Bus Station 


Location: N23.99164° E121.60249°


Economy rice. Self-service. Served mainly vegetables. The two meat dishes were on the left.

Braised pork - Savoury. Ok. Rated 7/10; Drumstick. OK. Rated 6/10

Day 2: At Dongdamen Night Market, Hualien (N23.97299° E121.61218°)

Dongdamen Night Market main entrance. I did not enter or exit from this entrance but at another entrance

I decided to stop at the "Aboriginal Grill House" because it was 'aboriginal'


Noodle - Quite good. Rated 7/10

Aboriginal sausage. I asked for one sausage and was advised to take ½ sausage, probably because he thought I might not be able to finish all the food. Tasted like normal Taiwan sausage with a tinge of sourness. Good. Rated 7/10

No idea what meat this was. Average. Rated 5/10

The next stall I visited was this rolled bread stand, again with 'aboriginal' sausage.





Rolled bread - Aboriginal sausage with cheese. The bread was made upon placing an order. Tasted ok. Rated 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment