Thursday, August 16, 2018

Taiwan Food: Part 2: 20 - 21 April 2018

Exchange Rates: NT$10 = MYR1.34; MYR1 = NT$7.46

Day 3: At a row of shops beside Hualien Visitor Center at Hualien Train/ Bus Station

I asked for an English menu at this corner shop. Ordered braised beef noodle in soup (Niu Rou Mian) which was on my to-eat list.


Niu Rou Mian. It was savory and sourish. I didn't know that Taiwan braised beef noodle soup is sourish. Since I don't like sour food, it was just average for me. 5/10
Day 3: Raohe Night Market


The most popular stand in Raohe Night Market sits at the street entrance (near the temple). It has a long and perpetual queue and is famous for its Fuzhou pepper buns. I am a Fuzhou but I don't think it is a Fuzhou snack. Rather, the baking of this pepper bun in a traditional oven has its origin in the manner Kompian/ Kompyang/ Guangbin/ 光餅was prepared and baked (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kompyang).

This stall was one of my reasons for visiting Taiwan.



It has the longest and a perpetual queue in Raohe Night Market

Even in a light drizzle, the queue did not abate. The majority of the customers seem to be foreigners.

Fuzhou pepper bun (Fuzhou Hujiao Bing) 

This was from the few pieces left from that particular batch. Still boiling hot inside but the crust was a little chewy. Savoury and suit our Malaysian palate. I like it. 8/10




A Jipai (chicken cutlet) stall. The chicken cutlet is popular but it wasn't something I would consider different from all the fried chicken we could get in Malaysia. It was not on my food list but nevertheless, I bought a piece.

The fried cutlet before it was machine-cut into bite-size pieces.

Tender and juicy. Heavenly. Rated 9/10
Day 4: MRT Zhongxiao Fuxing Exit 2, Taipei

While waiting for the bus to Jiufen at MRT Zhongxiao Fuxing Exit 2, I spotted this steamed bun stall. Steamed bun has always been one of my favorite food. I have always been curious about the taste of steamed buns from other countries.



The steamed buns tasted ok. The bun is soft and the filling savoury and juicy. Rated 6/10
Day 4: Jiufen Old Street


Before coming to Taiwan, I thought I might not be able to find this Fuzhou fish ball stall in the labyrinth of streets in Jiufen. Hence, I did not try to look for it. In fact, there was no need to look for it. It was just there, right on the main street. My intention was to try the Fuzhou fish ball at this stall. It was a popular stall.



The ball in dark texture tasted better than the Fuzhou fish ball (big round ball at the bottom). There were two smaller balls.

Fuzhou fish ball. Fuzhou fish ball has meat filling. Bouncy, savory and juicy. Not bad in taste. Slightly above average. Rated 7/10.
This is another popular stall in Jiufen. Colourful desserts made from taro, sweet potatoes, etc. in either hot or cold drink.



I had eaten half a cup already. The colourful combination makes it attractive. Sweet. Taste ok. Rated 6/10. 



Day 4: Around Songshan MRT station Exit 1.
On returning to Taipei from Jiufen, I alighted at Songshan MRT station bus stop. I explored the back/ side streets to explore for food and I saw this stall. It was selling O-ar Mi Sua and stinky tofu.

In my plan, I wanted to go to the famous Ay-Chung stall for this noodle. I do not know how the O-ar Mi Sua here compares to Ay-Chung.



The oyster was coated in sago and there was intestine (which I never took in the past). This time, I emboldened myself and ate the intestine too. The taste of the noodle broth (sans oyster/ intestine) was acceptable/ average. Gooey and savoury. Rated 6/10
Day 4: Back at Raohe Night Market
The Taiwan onion pancake was quite famous but I did not get one the earlier night because of the queue. This evening, there was no queue. I wanted one but because of miscommunication, I got a pepper bun instead. 

The stall sat at the entrance to Raohe Night Market but before the arch, on the left of the street.


Surprisingly, the pepper bun at this stall was better than the stall with the very long queue. The crust was crispy. Rated 9/10
The fried squid from my company mess here in PNG is excellent. It was therefore not on my list of food to try in Taiwan because all fried squid would taste the same. If it was not because of temptations, I would not have bought a cup of it.

The fried squid stall


It was very tasty. Tender and crispy. Rated 9/10
There were three stalls selling similar rib soup, sitting side by side. There were hardly any vacant seats, and patrons were sitting elbow to elbow. The rib soup at Raohe could be considered the second most popular food here, after the Fuzhou pepper bun.

I got my cup of rib soup from this stall


Patrons were sitting elbow to elbow. Very crowded.

Ribs, with slivers of meat. Bak Kut Teh (Malaysian or Singapore pork rib broth) or Bek Ting (Fuzhou 8 treasure soup) would be better. It tasted quite plain. Rated 6/10.


I didn't know what this middle-easterner was serving. I just wanted to have a taste of it.


Savoury. Tasted ok. Rated 6/10


No comments:

Post a Comment