Sunday, May 5, 2019

Japanese Food - Kyoto Station and Gion District

¥100 = RM3.80

1. Kyoto Station
1.1 Ramen Restaurants

My friend, CTT had been singing praises of ramen since he came back from his visit to Hokkaido. After reading more about ramen, I thought I would eat ramen everyday that I was in Japan. Every ramen chef would make his/ her ramen differently and there would be no duplication of taste. There were four major types of ramen, i.e. Shio (salt), Shoyu (soya sauce), Miso (fermented soya paste) and Tonkotsu (pork bone broth) Ramen.

Hence, the first meal I planned to have on arriving in Japan was ramen. I went in search of Ramen Restaurants at Kyoto Station and found it. At the restaurant where I would have my first meal, a waitress was there to help patrons in ordering the noodles from the vending machine. I ordered Shio Ramen. After getting my coupon, I barely had to wait when I was shown into the restaurant and to my seat at a bar. My seat was a tall stool, with a very small space. I had to keep my backpack and camera in front of my stool. This would be my first experience eating in a Japanese establishment and I felt awkward.

The waitress took my coupon, tore it off and handed me the stub. She asked me whether I wanted bean sprouts with the ramen, which she said would make it more delicious. I said yes. She also told me that the eggs were free. In my head, I was wondering whether she really meant it. She probably has not met many kiasu Malaysian or Singaporean yet. If she had met more, I believe this offer would have been withdrawn in no time.

Now, before you started asking me whether I speak Japanese or not, I don't. This particular waitress spoke fairly good English.

There were maybe about 10 or so restaurants within this dimly lit food court. It was on the 10th floor (or 9th floor in British English) of Kyoto Station. If you are at the station main entrance at the north-side, enter the station and take the escalator on the right to go up.
 









Inside the restaurant where I had my first meal in Japan
 

My first taste of Japan. Shio (salt) ramen. ¥850 Taste: Good 7/10

On the second day, after returning from Fushimi Inari, I went back to Ramen Restaurants for ramen again. This time, I went to a different restaurant and ordered Miso Ramen, medium-size.

It was such a large bowl. The broth has an over-powering taste of fermented soya. It was a little too salty, but nonetheless good.




This was a medium-size Miso ramen. ¥1,200. It has a over-powering soya flavour. Good too. Overall rated 7/10


1.2 Porta Dining
For my ramen the third time, I decided not to go back to Ramen Restaurants. I went to the underground Porta Shopping and saw Porta Dining (north-side of Kyoto Station). A collection of restaurants were grouped at this zone. I walked around and saw the ramen restaurant.






Tonkatsu (pork-bone broth) ramen. ¥880. Taste good. 7/10
 


After three ramen meals, I decided that maybe it was not a good idea to continue eating ramen every day. I wasn't craving for it. I had not become addicted to it. It may be good, but not addictive. There were other popular Japanese food which I must try. Kare Raisu (curry rice) was one of them.

Near the rear exit of Kyoto Station on the south-side, there was a curry rice shop called Spicy Masara. It was of course not spicy for the Malaysian palate.
 



The katsu (pork cutlet) was drenched in curry gravy, making it non-crispy. Otherwise, the taste was not bad. A neighbouring Japanese man was chowing down his plate without the katsu, just the gravy and rice. It was a little too sweet for me, otherwise it was ok. Rated 7/10
 


2. Gion

Gion is the old part of Kyoto City. I stayed here for two nights. I did not actually search for any specific food to try in Gion. When I came across Gyoza8, I knew I had to enter the restaurant.

Guotie (in Chinese) or pot sticker Japanese equivalent was Gyoza. I have always thought that when I find the original Gyoza in Japan, it would be delicious. I was disappointed that it was just okay. The version at Shabu Shabu in Sibu, Sarawak was very similar in taste and texture.

The restaurant was a one-man operation. I was only interested in ordering the Gyoza, sans the drink. The chef took offence and was not too friendly when he told me that I had to order a drink, and pointed to me the note in the menu. So, I ordered a glass of tetrapak orange juice for ¥350.






Original Gyoza. ¥450. 7/10
Shrimp with Green Onion Gyoza. ¥500. Rated 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment