Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Back to Yangshuo

Day 12 (3rd April 2011)
The return visit to Yangshuo was met with unexpected surprises.

The spot at Guilin Train Station/ bus terminal where I got on the bus to Yangshuo the first time has a bus parked there but it was locked. There were a few people milling around, expecting the driver to come anytime. After a lengthy wait and with the driver still missing, I went across the road to the bus terminal where the Yanghuo to Guilin bus terminated. There was no Yangshuo bus. I came back again and shortly later, I overheard that the Yangshuo bus was departing from the other end of the station.

Here was the first surprise. A long queue had already formed for the bus to Yangshuo. Fearing that it would take too long to wait for the bus, I began to have doubt. Should I go to Yangshuo again? As I was hesitating, the queue got longer. It was about 9:40 a.m. already. I decided to get into line and within minutes, the queue doubled in length.
Two buses came in succession, and I went for the second bus, doubting whether I would be able to get a seat as I was well behind the queue. I was turned away together with 3 - 4 hopeful passengers in front of me. The first bus was still able to take in more people and I went over to the first bus. I was lucky enough to get on board.

On reaching Yangshuo, I did not see the hostel touts I encountered the first time. Time must be good that they did not have to solicit for guests or they could be having lunch.  I went in search of accommodation at other hostels. Here was surprise no. 2. Fawlty Towers Hotel rate was RMB200. It was a real shocker. It could not be that expensive! I went to the hostel just behind and the rate was RMB150 for a dilapidated room. What happened to the cheap hostel rooms in Yangshuo? I decided to go back to Sons of West Street Hostel again. The rate was now RMB150, more than doubled from the RMB65 I paid a few days earlier. The fact had finally begun to sink in. This was the rate during the holiday season. I realised only then that I was in Yangshuo during the peak period, i.e. during the Qing Ming Festival holidays. There was regret. I should not have come but continue to stay in the RMB70 room in Guilin. Then again, I would be wasting time in Guilin. Going back to Guilin might see me getting a hostel room which had climbed in prices too. After asking for a discount, I was offered a rate of RMB140 per night as I was a "former" guest of the hostel, for two nights' stay. I took it after some hesitation.

Outside, the weather did not look too good. I had originally planned to cycle to Moon Hill that afternoon and to Xingping the following day. With the light drizzle, it was not a good idea. As a result, a good part of the afternoon was spent in Yangshuo itself.

The first destination was to Binjiang Road, to the section which I had not gone before. This was the pier where the big cruise boats from Guilin came to berth. Cruise boats came and went.







Next, it was exploring other streets.







No comments:

Post a Comment